Charged With Murder? Here Is What To Do And Not To Do.
If you have been charged with murder or if you believe you are under investigation for murder, your lawyer choice can make the difference between freedom and incarceration. While no lawyer can promise you an outcome, it makes sense to retain a lawyer with a record of success including dismissal, not guilty at trial, and lower charges in similar cases. At Ryan Pacyga Criminal Defense, we have the experience, commitment, and track record you want to get the tough defense you need.
We know that you are more than just one decision. You have a story and a life. You need to understand the stakes and what to do and not to do. Let’s start there.
What Should I Not Do If I Am Being Investigated For Murder?
Because each case, charge and circumstance are different, there is no “one-size-fits-all” plan for what to do. However, there are some ways that you can best protect yourself:
- Do not panic.
- Contact a criminal defense lawyer immediately.
- If police ask for your side of the story or for your statement, tell them you want a lawyer first.
- Do not explain yourself or clarify anything to the police or detectives.
- Do not talk to other people about the allegations. This includes friends and family.
- Do not use your phone or social media to discuss the allegations.
If you hire us, our goal is to work with you to determine the best way to protect you under the circumstances.
We Have Real Courtroom Experience in Murder Charges
We have experience and success in murder cases. These cases require familiarity with:
- All possible defenses, including self-defense, defense of others, lack of intent, alternative perpetrator and identity (did they charge the right person?)
- Cross-examining experts, including medical experts, firearms experts and experts in DNA and forensic science
- Dealing with a high volume of media, forensic information and records
- Pretrial hearings litigating the admissibility of evidence such as motions to suppress evidence or to dismiss for lack of probable cause
- Managing the media in a way that protects your right to a fair trial
Request A Consultation Today
If the government wants to take away your freedom, they will have to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Work with Ryan Pacyga Criminal Defense to defend your rights. To speak with one of our attorneys, please call 612-474-5420 or email us today.