Protecting Clients Across The United States
At Ryan Pacyga Criminal Defense, our attorneys will explain how federal law applies to your specific case, as well as the legal defense options available to you. It is our goal to limit the impact that a conviction has on you, your family and your future.
We understand the devastating impact a criminal conviction can have on you and your entire family. Trust us to fight to minimize your consequences through negotiation with the prosecutors and defending you in court.
Typically, federal weapons charges fall into one of two main categories:
- Felon in possession: With three prior crimes of violence or controlled substance offenses on your record, you could face a minimum sentence of 15 years to a maximum of life in prison if convicted.
- Possession of a firearm in the commission of a crime: In a crime of violence or a drug trafficking offense, possession of a firearm or discharging the firearm can lead to mandatory consecutive prison sentences with minimum sentences ranging from five years to 10 years depending on various circumstances. Subsequent convictions can result in longer sentences.
What Is A Prohibited Person?
Federal law typically has more broadly defined firearm restrictions than most states. It’s possible that an individual is prohibited from owning a firearm with no knowledge of the restriction. Commonly, people are prohibited from owning a firearm if:
- They were dishonorably discharged from the military
- They are an illegal alien
- They were convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
- They are a fugitive from justice
- They are addicted to or an unlawful user of any controlled substance
If you fit any of these general categories or have been convicted of a felony, you might be facing a serious federal charge of felon in possession of a firearm.
Contact Our Firm To Schedule A Consultation
Charged with a federal crime? It is crucial that you act quickly to protect yourself. At Arrested MN, we fight to put our clients’ lives in a better place.
Let Us Protect You Now
Contact Us 24/7